Running with the pack as #Quest2015 continues. Twelve days, twelve visionaries, imagining our best twelve months. All organized and lead by Jeffrey Davis. Today, our fourth prompt appears via author, professor, and Writing by Writers director Pam Houston.
Sit quietly and ask yourself, what in the last day or week or month has made your heart leap up? Not what should, or might or always had, but what did. Make that list. Be honest, even if it surprises you. Keep the list with you this month. Add to it when it happens. Train yourself to notice. Then ask your self today, how can I arrange my life to get more of those heart leaps in it?
The images arising as I think about this prompt go back further into 2014 than just the past month. Here’s a a selection representing moments big and small, curated from my photo collection.
These images show
- Our wedding, September 14th of this year
- My new grandnephew, wearing his hand-knit welcome to the world gift
- Assembling for Bike Partyyy!!!
- Sun glowing through clouds in Jamaica VT (on our honeymoon)
- My cat finding her safe place at the vet’s office
- Little libraries. These have been popping up throughout my neighborhood
- Stone walls. Found throughout Vermont and other parts of New England. Awe inspiring in their durability, beauty and utility.
There is a longer list to make. I’ll add to it as Pam suggests. I’ll notice these moments and hold onto them. I’ll weave them into my life story.
How can I arrange my life to get more heart leaps? Looking at what’s central to these moments, I see some themes. Family. Laughter. Love. Creativity. Nature. Beauty. Making. Making sure I fashion my one life (which contains the personal and professional ) with enough time and space for these moments to happen, to be noticed, to be felt and to be woven in.